Critical questions addressed in this two-hour tutorial presented by Ali Madani:
Ali Madani’s tutorials have featured among the presentations most highly rated by participants. Come and benefit from Avicenne’s latest market research based on 25 years’ experience and extensive business connections with all parties (Orthopaedic companies, Contract Manufacturing Organizations, Surgeons, PE funds, etc).
In this presentation you will hear about:
Orthopaedic Market perspectives and main issues
Orthopaedic Contract Manufacturing Markets.
1. What are the latest trends and main changes within the Orthopaedic market?
- What is the Orthopaedics macro environment? Global trends and the business impact of the following critical points on Orthopaedics: political, economic, social and cultural, technical, environmental, legal and regulatory?
- What is the state of usage, the maturity and the trends for the following products: ceramics, cementless, dual mobility cup, anterior approach, reversed shoulder, 3D printed implants, robotic assisted surgeries, Minimally Invasive Surgery, orthobiologic products, etc.
- Why is Orthopaedics generally risk-averse with the emergence of a few disruptive innovations, often coming from small players? What is the impact of small incremental innovations
- Differentiating factors and keys to capture and collaborate with both innovative and conservative surgeons
- Why hip, knee, shoulder and spine challengers are growing faster than the market average
- How have price decreases, due to regulatory effects, impacted the orthopaedic industry?
- Comparison of the revenue growth and the market shares of the Majors and the following challenger companies: Nuvasive, Globus, Aesculap, Exactech, K2M, Medacta, Wright, Lima, DJO, Corin, Amplitude, etc.
- How can bundled payments and low-cost implants disrupt the orthopaedic market?
2. Contract manufacturing and supply chain: How can the collaboration between OEMs and contract manufacturers yield innovation?
- How is the ongoing market concentration affecting their relationships?
- Are the major OEMs increasing their outsourcing to contract manufacturing? Rate and trend of outsourcing for each Major company, volume outsourced for different parts: forged, cast, machined, coated, etc.
- What are the needs of orthopaedic OEMs in terms of services, shared responsibilities, co-development agreements, etc.?
- What are the key growth factors and barriers for orthopaedic contract manufacturing development?
- What are the long-term trends affecting the casting, forging, machining, coating and finishing processes?
- What roles will the BRICs, South America and Central European countries play in the future of contract manufacturing? What is the risk of production relocation to lower labor cost economies? and for which products? Generic instruments, non-complex implants, etc.
- How has contract manufacturing of the coating process changed?
- How do the major OEMs work with product marking, packaging and sterilization?
3. How will the increasing weight of regulatory and quality issues be shared between OEM and CMO?
- Will the increased weight of regulations and certifications impact profitability?
- Will there be more inspections, audits, and tighter controls for contract manufacturers?
4. Additive Manufacturing (3D printing) is now massively used by many OEMs for implants. Is Additive Manufacturing the right option for CMOs as well?
- Which technology / equipment supplier will be dominant?
- What are the opportunities & threats for Orthopaedics Additive Manufacturing in 2018?
- Why, in the short and mid-term, forging, casting and machining mass market manufacturing cannot switch to Additive Manufacturing
- Additive Manufacturing forecasts for the following products: hip cups, spine cages, complex implants, knee and shoulder parts, etc.
5. How is Robotic-assisted and navigation changing the nature of the industry by demanding new know-how and technologies?
- How Mako’s acquisition by Stryker boosted the orthopaedic robotic market
- How can other Majors follow Stryker in this way?
- How can CMOs adapt?
- US & European forecasts of robotics usage for Orthopaedics
6. Disruptive innovations & emerging technologies in Orthopaedics.
- What will be the winning emergent products and technologies? Customized implants, disposable instruments, biologics and bio-resorbable materials, smart implants and instruments, disruptive manufacturing process, Minimally Invasive Surgery: Myths and Realities, etc.